View Single Post
Old 30th November 2018, 02:16 AM   #8
William Fox

Dear Ibrahiim,

Thank you for taking the time to help me with this, I am indebted to you.

So the Arabic script running along the blade says: "With Gods help we will win this battle."

The upper cartouche and lower cartouche look slightly more complex, but I await with great anticipation the views of your translator friends.

The talismanic square I find fascinating. At first I thought this was a date of some kind, but am now intrigued that it has a far more cryptic and spiritual meaning.

Please can you tell me something more about the use of such devices?

Kind regards

Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Some points on the Translation. As with many translation puzzles I always try to get a couple of translators to have a go at these cartouches and inlays... They are so interesting.

Firstly I have broken it down as the more difficult are in the cartouch but the lower one appears to give the makers name The Work of etc... I will try to have that done in due course...…Whereas there is Persian in the cartouche the long line of work below is from the Holy Koran and is in this case Arabic.

On the longer line of Arabic script I give an example phonetically as nasrun min allah wa fathun qareeb which means essentially ..With Gods help we will win this battle. I think that is a reasonable line of writing to have on a blade...
William Fox is offline   Reply With Quote