View Single Post
Old 18th November 2013, 04:20 AM   #3
shadejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Peter, there is no known way to determine if meteoric ore is the source of the nickel/iron pamor once it has been forged into the blade. Many keris with contrasting pamor actually have no nickel content in their pamor at all (Bronson).
Obviously it would be even more impossible to determine if your keris has made use of the famous Kanjeng Kyai pamor, though personally i would think it highly doubtful. The entire idea of meteoric ore has been greatly overblown in the keris mythos and i would suggest that you take any claims to a keris being made with such materials with a very large grain of salt. Keris sellers will spin great yarns when selling their wares. Again, this material was reserved for a very small number of keris. There is nothing in your photographs that suggest this keris is one of them.
I would highly recommend you spend some time reading through this long and detailed thread in our archives for more perspective on the subject.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...eteroric+pamor
It is very difficult to verify just by looking at it. I was expecting to see an example or two of Kerises with Prambanan meteorite. I was wrong, there're none

However, thanks to the thread, I can confirm that there may be Kerises outside the court that contain meteorite. What I understand is, the Empu would have leftover meteorite from completing the Keris ordered by the court. Then the leftover would be used to make other Kerises which were ordered by people outside the court. But I assume the numbers of those type of Kerises are small.

But I truly love the philosophical value of Keris making in this regard: the meeting/marriage between heaven (meteorite) and earth (iron).

By the way, I am in need of your experience on this Dave. What have you heard of an Empu named Djiwo Dihardjo of Yogyakarta? He's quite renown. I spoke to him several weeks ago and he claims that he makes Keris containing meteorite. Should I be skeptical?
shadejoy is offline   Reply With Quote