View Single Post
Old 15th March 2005, 09:16 AM   #22
Mans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Sometimes you just get a feeling .

I'm not saying that it isn't exquisite work or not worth the money paid .

It just looks new , the blade appears perfectly smooth yet it isn't polished .

The metalwork on the ukiran seems just not quite as good as it should be considering the overall impression this piece should make .

These are just the observations of a Westerner and should be taken as such , an opinion .

Hi, Rick,
Sometimes we just got the feeling, but actually we should know about the blade, ironwork and pamor.
Often we interested about the keris because we look that a keris used an nice old scabbard and accesories like pendok and hilt. But actually we bought a new keris or common keris which have no special characteristic.
Or, often we try to justifying that the keris is new just because it have a completly or intact ricikan like greneng, ron dha or kembang kacang, but actually this keris is old and has good take care before.

This keris which last posted look so nice for me. The blade look made by good ironwork. I think it made about middle to end of CA19th, not older, but it is not a new made. The scabbard look handsome and used an old pendok from silver. About the hilt and silver fitting, I don't have any idea how old it is But I think it is an original Balinese hilt.

Westerner or easterner whose interest about keris look the same for me.
They have many reason and knowledge how to give opinion about it. And I try to learn more from all of them

Best Regards,
Mans.
Mans is offline   Reply With Quote