View Single Post
Old 5th December 2004, 04:18 PM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Hmmmm

Dan:

Very interesting piece and in excellent shape not withstanding some of the scars from battle. A fine old warrior. The blade seems to have some significant age, and I believe it has an underlying pattern that might be revealed by polishing and etching.

I suspect the dealer's insistence on a Laotian origin arises from where he knows it came from most recently, but I doubt this is a common Lao pattern because it bears little resemblance to other Lao swords I have seen.

My first impression was an element of Chinese influence. The blade shape, with its curve upwards towards the tip, and the pierced guard are atypical for dha. The rather short hilt, which is a three-part construction found on many dha, is nevertheless unusual and I have not seen one quite like it on other dha. Again, I get more of a Chinese feel to the hilt. If someone had said this was from Vietnam (rather than Vientiane), I would not have been surprised!

Philip Tom or Scott R. could give you a better read as to whether this one has some Chinese influence.

Bottom line, this sword does not match any Lao sword that I have seen, so I suspect another cultural influence.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote