Thread: Jambiya
View Single Post
Old 5th January 2012, 04:30 PM   #22
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D
Hi All,

I have learned a lot, but, I am not quite ready to let this one go yet. Both amber and plastic can be electrically charged. I don't know about horn. The other possibility is that this is copal (an immature amber). Aurangzeb, is there any way to get a closer look at the end (end on), to see if it is grainy?
I will include first a picture of giraffe horn jewelry and a picture of Zanzibar copal below. If anyone has any pictures of giraffe horn I would love to see them.

Jeff
Salaams all ~ I was intrigued at the discussion on Girraffe Horn. (So I have resurected it) With a view to expanding the database on all things bone handle, horn hilt etc etc.
In Arabia the common term for Rhino Horn is Ziraff(or Zraff) which apparently means Rhino. In my early days as a collector I was told that the stuff was from the hoofs of the Giraffe but I didn't believe that.
Is there a quick test like the burn test which can ID Rhino horn.. The test for Amber ( Arabic; Anbar) is that it floats ... and another way is that it burns though that would be drastic ! Then there is the translucent edge of Rhino Horn which improves with time.

It would be useful to have a study on the different horns; walrus, waterbuffalo, Zraff, Giraffe, (I dont think it exists either) and some of the better bull horns and the prehistoric extinct stuff..Mammoth and Mastadon.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 5th January 2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: text
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote