View Single Post
Old 31st July 2008, 11:19 PM   #9
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratch
G'day,
I purchased this keris locally, I liked the way it felt in the hand and the blade looked old to me. Could this be a short Bali keris? I'm guessing the hilt and mendak are newer? The scabbard fits blade. I have also included a hilt that I guess is modern?
The blade looks old to me too, Daniel (just guessing, from pics only). And also good garap (workmanship). But no matter, whether it is balinese, lombok or javanese blade, the warangka is suitable for it. IMHO, maybe it will be better if you would add balinese style silver pendhok to cover the gandar (specially ordered by the owner). Good timoho wood "pelokan" (upper part of the warangka), old balinese style, but with different "gandar" (lower part of the warangka or scabbard).
How to add the silver pendhok? I think you may send the warangka only, to someone in Bali (I don't know, maybe in Celuk near Ubud or Sukawati, Gianyar Bali) or to Jogjakarta (Java). There are a couple of silver carvers in Kota Gede, near Jogjakarta who could do it...
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote