View Single Post
Old 1st June 2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I think Mark has good points on the character of the hilt with the manner of quillons attached to cup, and simplicity of the cup with raised ridge but no rompepuntas.
While this hilt has those characteristics suggesting colonial origin, the pommel seems of third quarter + classical 'urn' style. The knuckleguard screw into the pommel recalls English dragoon hilts of this period and earlier.

The blade seems to be of Solingen character of early 18th century versions of Aiala blades, and the 'anchor' seems to correspond somewhat to various examples on blades of these times. I believe that Germany began producing these rapier blades for Spanish colonial use in the 17th well into the 18th if I understand correctly.

With the combination of these, the more refined look of the grip, I would suggest this might be a Portuguese version of cuphilt for officers dress and of latter 18th.in present mounts using earlier Solingen Aiala blade. It seems that Portuguese cuphilts were with an almost colonial look were known if I recall earlier discussions correctly. The English associated elements bring to mind the various connections between Portugal and England in these times.
Hello Jim

I was expected your opinion and I would like to thank you for your so well constructed analyse there is a last detail I would like to understand about the size who is about 120 cm in my eyes it is a lot for a dress sword it is difficult to wear it, may be you could explain me.
Best

Jean-Luc
Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote