View Single Post
Old 7th June 2012, 04:50 PM   #28
Norman McCormick

Hi,
I e-mailed the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum (Museum of Military History) in Vienna regarding the origins of this sword, the reply is below. I would certainly agree that the blade and hilt were not made originally for one another and the explanation that Mr Ilming gives is one that seems reasonable and obviously not unknown. If anyone else has a view, contradictory or otherwise, I would be pleased to hear from you.
Regards to All,
Norman.

Dear Sir!

I think the blade of this sword will have belonged to a different one, before it was mounted with the hilt it has now.
The blade was perhaps part of a booty in the wars between Austria and the Ottoman Empire in the 18th century, and handed down in the family of the person who captured it, until it was used by one of his descendants in the combination you have now purchased.

This happened quite often within the nobility, where almost every male member of those families in every generation served as an officer in the army. By this way such “hereditary blades” were preserved over the centuries.

I hope, this response is of some help for you. Please do not hesitate to contact me again, if you have some further questions.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Ing. Mag. Thomas Ilming
Leiter Referat WaTe (Waffen und Technik)
Heeresgeschichtliches Museum
A-1030 Wien, Arsenal, Objekt 1
Tel.: +43 / (0)1/ 79561 - 1060320
Mobil: +43 / (0)664/ 8876 3850
Fax: +43 / (0)1/ 79561 - 1017707
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote