View Single Post
Old 5th July 2009, 06:32 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very nice piece Gene, and though I am not sure if this is specifically military or not, it is known that officers often carried such items in thier kit while on campaign or expeditions. It seems that these kinds of instruments, along with telescopes or binoculars have occasionally been the topic in a number of arms journals. One that comes to mind is that the journal or annual of the National Army Museum in London. They often published either new additions or brief articles on these types of gear, I believe one was on field chairs, of the type of folding chairs seen in period photos of officers in camp.

These things were essential in those times pre-GPS ! In travelling cross country in this rig, I typically honestly have no idea where I am half the time until the wife tells me to turn. When by myself in the jeep its tough, remember, asking for directions is against the 'guy code' I remember going someplace with a buddy once and following (I thought) the directions scribbled on a bit of paper...we finally realized we were going in circles when we passed the same building about 5 times!!

Thanks Gene for sharing this beauty, most interesting, and I'd like to see if other associated examples, especially with known military use, are out there.

All the best,
Jim

Fearn, I guess we crossed posts.....I burst out laughing with the concealed blade note!!! pardon the pun, but you truly are sharp!!! LOL

Best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote