View Single Post
Old 14th October 2011, 08:13 PM   #14
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Not necessarily off topic, but understandable. I think the important point is that antiquities and these kinds of items which end up in other hands, often in other countries result from distinct interest in and appreciation of the artifacts involved. Clearly with artifacts, as long as obtained properly and in observation with local ordinances and regulations, these end up being valued items which hopefully are restored with caution and preserved. Antiquities not excavated deserve similar care and thought not typically regulated the same, should be cared for with respect and thoughtful maintainance.

Several years ago I was asked to locate a Spanish 'cuera', the leather jackets worn by colonial soldiers on the frontier. I knew that a great many weapons and artifacts still existed, but was stunned that only two examples of these from 18th century, early 19th existed, and had just found one other.
These leather items apparantly were 'recycled' or simply trashed, as appears to be the case with the larger number of leather items in Europe.

I think that too often there is a local complacency toward items which are old and historically valuable and the interest is in whether it is usable, and if not, becomes worthless. In these cases, the expatriation of these items fortunately saves them from wanton disposal and puts them into hands which value them for what they are, rather than becoming simple selling away of heritage. I have never treated antique items I have owned with anything but respect, and charge all who own them to do so in kind with thiers.

Heritage preserved is valuable regardless of who does it or where, and we are simply the custodians of these treasured items for the time we have them.
Too many museums are storing away thier items, and too many others throw them in storage to rust or rot away. Too many items are scrapped or recycled.
Just my thoughts, and that IS a rant
I would be the first to agree that antiquities and antique items from various cultures should be retained by them, but we as collectors, and those who are dealers in these items, are guilty of doing exactly what is being frowned at here.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote