View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2012, 05:52 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Longfellow (outstanding moniker!! and I heartily concur with Michael, you are anything but 'dense' and I admire the approach you are taking to the handling of the weapons of your fathers estate. As I recall from my early days of collecting in Southern California, there were some great arms which ended up in Santa Barbara along with many other regions near Los Angeles and Hollywood. There were many weapons in the warehouses of the movie studios, in fact I recall many cases of deaccessing these items, many which were convincing props and many authentic. Valentino himself became a sword collector through many authentic items acquired and used in his films.

Michael is of course spot on with noting the use of these decorative stamps in axes and various tools made by blacksmiths, and it seems this kind of simple decorative arrangement was used with simple floral and other devices. There were many stage props and theatrical weapons produced in the 19th century for productions, besides the very impressive reproductions made for gentlemans parlors and smoking rooms in these times. I can recall research being done, on a cinquedea which was used for opera performances some time ago, but this was a quite early one which may even have had illustrious connections to the Borgia's descendants but cannot recall details at the moment. I think it was being published.

In any case, even these weapons which were made for theatrical use typically have fascinating histories of thier own.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote