View Single Post
Old 6th December 2012, 09:47 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iliad
Hi all,
As regards the date of 1920, my friend from whom I bought the daggers is now 70 years old, and has lived with these daggers (and other items) for his whole life. His father fought in the WW1 Gallipoli campaign, stayed on in the area for some years before returning home to New Zealand. (Incidentally, also served in WW2, collecting weapons from SE Asia, some of which I have and will post photos of). If he said that he acquired them in 1920, then I believe him. As regards patination, if held in a private collection for 92 years, then surely it is logical that there would be no wear and tear on them?
Jim, thank you for your support.
Best to all,
Brian

You bet Brian! I think the 'tourist' syndrome is a bit cavalierly thrown around with too many ethnographic weapons, and it sounds like your provenance was sound. I had seen examples very much like yours in an extremely comprehensive collection of Mahdist items which was assembled with also well provenanced items. I recall some discussions years ago claiming that crocodile hide items were also 'tourist' pieces to which I disagreed, again citing examples from these and others I had seen with good provenance.

All the best,
Jim

PS, just found this in notes,
Some of the venerable sages of arms and armour collecting had a remarkable dignity and gentlemanly grace which has noticeably diminished in todays demeanor. Claude Blair had remarked on Sir Guy Laking, "...I was told that it was said of Laking that he would always find something kind to say about a fellow collectors object".

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 6th December 2012 at 11:27 PM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote