View Single Post
Old 24th March 2016, 01:07 AM   #17
JamesKelly

NeilUK it is embarrassing to say, but though my library catalog says I have this DeWitt Bailey book I cannot find it tonight. Neither can I locate my rather expensive copy of R. Brooker's work 1603 - 1888 pistols. Hopefully they are in the attic with a few other books I've not seen since my last move. Thank you for the references, now I must find them somewhere in storage. Somewhere.

With respect to the sear spring screw, it exists but is hidden by the cock. On Brown Bess muskets, for example, that long sear spring was used in the pattern 1756 lock. The pattern 1777 lock (terminology from Goldstein & Mowbray, The Brown Bess) used the shorter sear spring, and the screw does show in the lockplate behind the cock.

With respect to being a cut-down musket, they would have had to turn the breech smaller in diameter, while retaining the same design of rings on it. The pistol might be something inexpensive for prison guards, but I cannot see how it could be cut down from anything. I still guess at 1794, given the "94" stampings on sideplate and stock, as well as the short 230mm (9" to those less fond of that French system) barrel.

This pistol is keeping me busier than I had anticipated.
JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote