View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:53 AM   #14
JamesKelly

OK, to clarify. It is the outside dimensions of the BARREL that are about the same as my light dragoon pistol. Not the stock, not the hardware.
I noted this to confirm that, whatever is this pistol, it is NOT a cut down musket or carbine. At least, when I hold it in front of a Long Land and an India pattern Brown Bess it is clear that this pistol could not come out of that pattern wood, likewise the breech diameter of the musket is quite a bit larger..
The sideplate of the pistol in service is stamped 94, which corresponds to the 94 (not shown) stamped deeply into the wood, right side of grip. I might guess that this stood for 1794, much as 08 on a long dragoon pistol meant, I dare say, 1808. With quite a bit of imagination one might discern English proof marks near the breech. It was a kindness of someone to paint it black, as corrosion has taken its toll.
I have had the impression that the British used simpler, or older, patterns for the Sea Service. I suppose I got this from Battle Weapons of the American Revolution, George C. Neumann, ©1998. Specific examples that have features somewhat like my pistol are: page 34 (5) Circa 1750-1780, flat sea service lock . . . frizzen often squared; page 77 27.MM English Sea Service , . . the lock and furniture continued to follow early Queen Anne period styling . . . a rounded trigger guard front terminal. . .
You gentlemen have inspired me to do the homework I should have earlier. I really don't know much about English Sea Service firearms. I would be thankful if someone would point me to an appropriate reference book other than Neumann.
Attached Images

JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote