View Single Post
Old 11th April 2015, 06:10 PM   #15
rickystl

Hello again. We just installed a new computer service company at work, but I can't get into Windows to access photos from home. This will get fixed Monday morning and I'll post photos of the barrel. This is a must see. Meantime, I'm confined to using text only on my I-Pad.
I did not perform the restoration myself. Restoration was done by my gunsmith Earl Kathan in New Hampshire. I can do minor repairs, but Earl is so good at this, I usually leave matters to him. The gun was completely disassembled down to the stock. A stock stain was mixed to match the original stain. The lock and barrel were cleaned using a glass bead blaster at very low speed. This works great for removing loose red rust while maintaining the original patina underneath. But here is the amazing part: When I removed the lock, there was a thin piece of wood and leather used to fill a gap between the lock plate and the barrel. And the reason for this is that the barrel started life kas a MATCHLOCK !! What a surprise. The original groove cut into the barrel for the matchlock pan/cover is still there. I didn't want to weld up this area and loose the evidence of the original matchlock configuration. So we added a thick piece of sheet brass to the back of the lock plate to fill the gap.
Another barrel problem: Someone had beaten the tar out of the breech plug tang trying to get it to line up. Breech plug could not be removed. So the breech plug tang was cut off, and the breech plug drilled out and a new plug was installed with the original tang welded back on the the new plug. At the same time, a new .54 caliber liner was installed. The V notch for the rear sight was welded up and re-cut to properly line up with the new front sight.
More about the stock: At some point, the stock had been dropped on it's heel causing a break at the wrist. This was properly repaired. The two nails holding the horn butt cap and bone inlay to the stock were bent. With half the white bone inlay missing. So two new, long nails were hand made, the horn butt cap polished out, and a new camel bone inlay was made from a knife slab handle and everything put back together. WHEW! This gun's had a lot of work done to it. More than I really expected. But once we got into it far enough, there was a point of no return. LOL I'll post the barrel pics Monday. Thanks for your interest. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote