View Single Post
Old 29th January 2022, 04:12 PM   #25
shadejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadejoy View Post
Thank you very much @A. G. Maisey!

I have seen people enclosing the wilah in 'plastik mika'. I use plastic wrap instead, fully enshroud from pucuk to peksi. However, I wrap it in a way that the wilah is still able to be put in in the scabbard along with selut and hilt. My understanding at that time was to to have the Keris 'fully dressed' in the storage but with the wilah wrapped in plastic to avoid making contact with the wood. Granted, it's not fully in. I am going to follow your suggestion to leave it out of the scabbard and its hilt while fully covered. I store both of my Kerises laying horizontally in a Keris wooden box.

Another alternative I've seen people are using is mineral oil. Could we also use good quality (medical grade) mineral oil for Keris rust prevention; if so, do you think mineral oil is safer to kinatah compared to gun oil or should we also apply it to the bare iron only?

You mentioned sandalwood oil, are pure essential oils like sandalwood, rose, jasmine, etc going to stain the iron and/or the pamor overtime or that's not the case?

For warangka, I'll look for a good quality furniture oil from my local hardware store. Do you have suggestion on how to treat and care for the silver pendok?

For hilt, boy this is a tough one since the piece is so intricate. Both wood and metal carvings are so fine and I am usually not a patient one. Do you have suggestion on how to bring back the luster on the hilt's silver and gold?

Thanks again for your input, I appreciate it very much!
Up ..looking for further advices, in case it's missed. I should also apologize in advance if my questions were rather rudimentary. I have close to zero knowledge of metal and woodwork treatments and preservation.
shadejoy is offline   Reply With Quote