View Single Post
Old 12th August 2015, 10:41 PM   #18
mrcjgscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirupate
I think Jonathan originally used the word personalised, but either way personalised or dress scabbards, no, that would not have been allowed in the Gurkhas or in the British army strictly against regs.
I am not sure what Jonathan has to do with this?

Perhaps you would like to share the regulations you mention here for us to see?

I don't see why a possible regimental tradition in the Third Gurkha Rifles would be so difficult for you to believe?

I find it much harder to believe that such decorated scabbards would be taken on active service. The example on David's kukri is of tourist grade, and would not have lasted a month of field use.

Quote:
The pipers were sometimes bought kothimora kukri by the CO to wear, and Mess orderlies were occasionally also given kothimora kukri to wear, as in the photo of the mess orderlies in the 10th GR in 1948 in Kuala Lumpur, who by the way were rifleman on rotation from rifle companies (obviously the mess cooks, were a different affair).
I am not really sure what bearing this has on David's kukri?

Quote:
Me; no one can tell from a picture were a kukri was made, unless the picture came with relevant info or markings on the kukri clearly showing where it was made.
Absolute nonsense. Whilst there is nothing better than holding an object in your hand to evaluate it, a surprising amount can be learned from pictures. One just has to know what to look for and where to look for it.

Infact, this whole forum is based on that very fact!!

As you know, I can tell a (U) J.D. Pensioner and Sons kukri from just a photograph.
mrcjgscott is offline   Reply With Quote