View Single Post
Old 12th August 2015, 06:15 PM   #15
sirupate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcjgscott
I think one can be as certain as one can be that the kukri is Nepalese in origin, rather than Indian. What makes you think it isn't?

In regards to the typology of kukri that is rather a broad subject, again, probably best discussed elsewhere, so as not to clutter up this thread.

However, as no real terms exist in Nepal to distinguish between kukri types, in order to separate various design features and further our knowledge, such "labels" must be employed.

I believe it was Bill Martino who introduced the term "Hanshee", which was a corruption of the word "hansiya", a term used for a sickle like tool. It may be wrong, but it is still a term known and used by collectors, and as such, who am I to change it?

As "lambendh" literally translates as "long handle" it certainly makes the most sense. Different people use different terms, and in absence of any labels from the country of origin, we westerners with an interest in such things must do the best we can.

Kind regards,

Chris
Hi Chris,
Then the GM and the IWM must have the same picture, and we will have to agree to disagree, Gurkhas were not allowed to personalise issued kukri btw.
I don't think you can be certain at all, unless there is provenance with the kukri to say it was made in Nepal.
I believe you are right about Bill Martino coming up with the term Hanshee and JP adopting the term from Bill Martino.
Personally I see no need to label kukri, which the Nepalese don't have a name for, but each to their own.
All the best Simon
sirupate is offline   Reply With Quote