View Single Post
Old 28th August 2017, 01:30 AM   #43
A. G. Maisey

Thank you Kulino for making images of these keris sajen available to us.

I regret I have been unable to make any constructive comments on the images you have posted, but I will add a couple of comments now.

In respect of determination of age, there is a belief amongst some people who have looked closely at the keris sajen, that the head of the hilt figure may give an indication of age. Many hilt figures show some sort of head apparel, a hat, cap or something, the belief is that identification of the head-gear might point towards the period.

The image of a figure with a European style hat tells its own story, and something very unusual about this figure is that the orientation of the blade is reversed.

In the past some people have attempted to paint the keris sajen as a direct continuation of a Dongson knife that had a figural hilt, but to me this seems extremely unlikely as direct cultural links cannot be shown, and the gap between the Dongson era and the Javanese early Classical era is simply too great.

The keris sajen reflects the form of the Modern keris, which means that the keris sajen did not develop as a cultural artifact until after the Modern Keris appeared, which the evidence seems to indicate as circa 14th century, and after the keris penetrated Javanese society as a whole and became endowed with talismanic qualities in its general form, and this seems not to have occurred until after the Islamization of Jawa.

The complete argument against the extreme age of the keris sajen is very lengthy, and here is not the place for it.

The image I have placed into this post that is from Kulino's earlier posting deserves special attention, because the hilt form is an echo of the Dongson form. Although this gives an appearance of age in the image posted, I do have very strong and very well grounded doubts about the true age of this example
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote