View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2006, 07:14 PM   #2
B.I

hi andy,
i'm afraid you ask the impossible. hard to authenticate anything without a photo. i dont know of any patas that are repro, but this doesnt mean they arent out there. the brass hilts were normally of the 18th and 19thC. the hilts were smaller and shallower than the early ones. however, brass hilts also go back into the 17thC, but these were larger, and more of a complete guantlet. to find an early one with its original scabbard is exceptionally rare. if the scabbard in modern looking, then the clues will be there.
i do remember a pata for sale in portobello some years back (your bearded friend). this had a very late blade, with its scabbard, and an early brass hilt. i remember the hilt, as it was original, but cant recall the blade (whether it was late 19thC, or modern). was worth buying for the hilt alone, as long as the price was right (but remember you are buying a hilt, not a pata).
sorry i cant be more help. why not put 'pata' into oriental arms search engine, and see if any are similar. if you post a similar piece, then maybe we can help more.
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote