Thread: Yatagan help
View Single Post
Old 25th March 2016, 11:44 PM   #4
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
Nice yataghan. I believe these to be from Greece, and I understand that this is still a somewhat generic description. In Elgood's book on Balkan arms there are multiple examples, some with provenance attributed to Greek freedom fighters. Astvatsaturian had assigned those to Eastern Anatolia, based on the niello decoration, but she herself would admit that these were just guesses at the time she wrote her book. We know that niello decoration was used in the Balkans for decoration, and since Epirus yataghans seem to have more pronounced ears, I would guess that this type should be from further South.

Sincerely,
Teodor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
Nice piece estcrh, I know hardly anything about these weapons except that they combine beauty with fit for purpose. From my limited research I find it difficult to determine the origin but from the hilt design I would say it was from Greece. Wish it was mine.
Miguel
Teodor and Miquel, thanks for your input, I found a similar yatagan on Stefans site, same typs of inscription on the spine as well. I have not seen the type of metal work design that is on the scabbard before, I am leaning towards the scabbard metal being newer than the yatagan and hilt but the leather part of the scabbard along with the metal spiral stitching seems older. If anyone thinks they recoginze the designs or script as being from a particular region make a guess, thanks.

Quote:
Yataghan sword from Ottoman Greece, probably Epirus region. The yatagan sword itself with a silver hilt comprised of panels of silver finely engraved with decoration and niello, the upper edge (spine) of the blade applied with silver and with a long inscription in arabic calligraphy inlaid with niello. Circa 1800.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote