View Single Post
Old 25th January 2016, 06:16 PM   #9
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
The story of Vereshchagin's death along with Admiral Makarov, the only competent Russian naval commander at the time, was a death knell for the Russian Navy. Coupled with humiliating and totally disproportional losses at the Battle of Tsushima ( Russians lost all of their 11 battleships, 4 of 8 cruisers and 6 of 9 destroyers against the Japanese loss of 3 torpedo boats) this left Port Artur totally undefended.

General Kuropatkin, the commander of the Russian Ground Forces was equally incompetent and lost one battle after another.

After Port Arthur surrender, he went into deep depression. To lift his spirits, Tsar Nicolas II presented him with a gorgeous chess set, made by Faberge of rare stones, gold and silver. It had carved signatures of Tsar himself, as well as those of Kuropatkin's fellow generals.

How do I know it?

A good acquaintance of mine is the #1 chess collector in the world, and he bought this set from a London dealer BEFORE it was put on the market. He just pulled out his check book, wrote the name of the dealer, signed it and only then asked " How much?" I never asked what was the number :-)

I spent some time in front of a custom glass cabinet, marveling at the incredible sight.
Ariel, the topic - the artistic creativity Vereshchagin. In particular, his paintings of India. I do not understand your post. If you want to talk about the death of Vasily Vereshchagin - was enough the first half of your first phrase.

If you touch the story, you're right, Ariel. Tsushima - it is the greatest shame of the Russian Navy. It can be likened to Pearl Harbor for the US Navy.
But, You probably do not understand. This issue is not about the history of Russia and the history of the Russian Navy. Your message did not fit the topic. I ask the moderators to remove Ariel message №7 and my message №8.

Last edited by mahratt; 25th January 2016 at 06:29 PM.
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote