View Single Post
Old 8th October 2007, 12:59 PM   #26
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajak
These dutch weapons are not made after the Atjeh weapons but european design it was only the term klewang that they used

Ben
As you stated above, from your first article the author draws this conclusion, that the decisions was made to "fight the Atjeh with his own weapons" but the design of the "gliwang" or klewang used by the Dutch borrowed elements of the Sosun Patah and even the knopis, and was considered a new design based on European models.

A lot of focus was placed on the development of the guard (gevest) for better hand protection, as a development and improvement of the Aceh klewang which lacked the guard used by the Dutch infantry.

There was also development of the scabbard or sleeve. Originally steel but these were "heavy and had to suffer of the wet tropics climate. Hence that there votes went up the steel sleeves to let replace by lederen (leather); these.. . do not shine. They do not clatter. They do not rust. "

The second article further elucidates
development of the military klewang by J.P. Puype and R.J. the Stürler Boekwijt [ 1 ] under the ' military klewang ' understand we in the first place the so-called Marechausseesabel introduced in 1898, by the Dutch-Dutch-Indian army (KNIL)

I was also educated by the understanding of the need for "mechanized production in arms manufacture could insure the desired uniformity, i.e. equality of composition and quality of steel, but also in use, exercise, maintenance and at the latest. Also the fact that Atjehse edged weapons were seldom kept in sleeves, yet bares traditionally and in the hand was carried, was impractically and also with regard to unacceptable for a soldier."

Uniformity of manufacture through mechanized production meant that scabbards could be more interchangeable is one was damaged. Certainly the interchangeability of parts was a huge benefit of any mechanized production.

Though I might parenthetically add that this, mechanized production, could also slightly impinge on the definition of these klewangs as Ethnographic weapons on this Forum, however I shall "forge" ahead.

Reference is also made to the production of weapons in Tikeroeh and I can see some similarities with the golok blades, wide fullers, etc, posted earlier by myself and others though this may be merely a parallel evolution.

Marechausseesabel (or sabel military police) was developed and perfected (as Ben has earlier stated) between 1898 and 1905. Further developments occurred, until 1940.

And Ben, I thank you again for your good information regarding these interesting swords. There is a great deal more in the second article about further developments.

I must learn Dutch!
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote