View Single Post
Old 12th December 2012, 09:46 AM   #136
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Talking of (quoting you) a bit of stretch; i would consider such fusion thesis also a long shot. Would rather bet in one "one or another" influence.
And by the way, i wouldn’t include the jineta in this championship. This wouldn’t be the origin for the (false) quillons on the Kastane. Such sword already had its characteristic form when the Nasrid brought it to Al Andaluz by the XIII century; their fallen “arriaces” were born like that and would be nothing but a decor, or in the least with no practical use . Neither could we call it Portuguese or Spanish, although it became later christianized, with its production ceasing in Toledo by the XV century. Whether its consequent variants were the reason for the appearing of the actual (finger) defense quillons is another issue; but the sword that was brought by (Portuguese) navigators to Ceylon had actual functional ample curved quillons, those to protect fingers holding the ricasso which, according to some opinion sources, were ‘shrunk’ by Cingalese smiths in their sword (Kastane) models, as not intended for their fencing (handling) techniques.
But don't take my perspective in such worthwhile position; i am just trying to help maintaining the (hypo)thesis contradictory .

Salaams Fernando. Your picture is an excellent illustration of what I feel is, in part, the origin of species concerning the design of the Kastane. The Quillons however on the Kastane are more a take off from the ritual Tibettan item. The hilt is purely Buddhist. Thus the blended style.

I don't believe they are actually Quillons but in the likeness of Quillons, though, actually from the Vajra item; #115.

There is simply no evidence of a pre Portuguese Kastane in Sri Lanka..What appears as highly probable is Portuguese battleships rolling up with artisans and weapon masters on board and a liaison between the Sri Lankan Royal Households combining both weapons into the Kastane; fusing two styles viz;

The Buddhist influenced Makara hilt, Knuckle Guard, Guard and "Quillons" (so called) and the Portuguese sword style thus became blended.

We know that liaison took place in weapons workshops because your own picture earlier of the Makara or Naga on the locks of the long guns; #66 second photo.

In terms of other Eastern influence; No evidence presents itself in terms of Japanese/Portuguese influence. The weapons are completely different.

In terms of wording; The two closest words relating to Kastane are Castao and Castas. Castao meaning stick is surely a non starter since how can a precious stone encrusted, hugely rare, gilded and silver engraved masterpiece be simply called a stick? Logic seems to point to the richer more understandable conclusion that Castas (master crafted) is more likely. I have illustrated the link between Caste and Guilds of Master craftsmen previously.

My hypothesis stands, though, broadly enhanced with your superb photo.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Note; For excellent pictures of Kastane see http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...4&page=1&pp=30

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 12th December 2012 at 10:18 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote