View Single Post
Old 4th April 2010, 03:28 AM   #7
ganjawulung

Default Wayang Names

The main problem of me is "expressing idea with the right term in English". I apologize Alan, if I can not express correctly my idea in English. I hope it could be understood...

Karna Tinanding (with a dot mark under the 'd' consonant, so you may spell it as "dh") is not the only one keris dhapur's name that one can associate it with the wayang world. Name of "Pandawa" too.

Zoetmulder (and O Robson) in his Jawa Kuna lexicon, also mention that Pandawa (with capital character P) could mean "sons of Pandu" or "partisan of Pandawa". Then, what does Pandu mean? Of course, it came from the wayang world. Pandu was the great king of Astina -- before this kingdom was splitting to two kingdoms of Astina (kingdom of the left) and Amarta (kingdom of the right, where the sons of Pandu were).

So, if we mention keris dhapur with attribute of Pandawa, then we can directly understand that there is a connotation of "five" behind the attribute of Pandawa. As you know, there are 5 Pandu's son -- Puntadewa (or Samiaji), Bima (or Werkudara, Bratasena), Arjuna and the twin brother of Nakula, Sadewa (or Pinten and Tangsen). You may directly be sure, that keris bears name of Pandawa -- has "five" substance in it. Pandawa kerises, have all five luks. You may mention all Pandawa dhapurs as Pandawa Lare, Pandawa Cinarita, Pandawa Ulap, Pandawa Wilut, or Cundrik Pandawa (cundrik which has five luks)... and so on.

And so, the name of dhapur "Pulanggeni" -- the name of Arjuna's keris that often associated with "tuah" of "having many wives" as did Arjuna, who in the wayang world was told by the "dalang" (the puppeters of wayang shadow play) as a ksatria (noble man) which has "41 wives"...

The tradition of javanese people (also old tradition of Sunda in West Java and Bali too), could not be separated from the wayang world. It is not uncommon, that javanese people try to personify themselves in the wayang figures. Or personify someone they want to criticize in the political world, in a "wayang way". This tradition is still continuing, in Java. Some "dalang" of wayang shadow, they choose to criticize the political situation via their wayang play... And people could associate with the political situation.

On Karna Tinanding. It could have sense of "duel of the two brother of the same mother", whatever the result, whether Karna won or lost. Without the help of Kresna (incarnation of Wisnu), Arjuna could not win the duel against his elder brother... It could be possible, that this keris dapur was created during a similar situation of the past -- when there was a duel of two brother of the same mother. Civil war between two brother...

GANJAWULUNG
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote