View Single Post
Old 9th December 2016, 12:15 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Default Turquoise Indian weapons

Jens,

Of the Indian weapons I have seen with turquoise, it has only been Khanjar and Tulwar hilts and their scabbards that contain small balls or cabochons of turquoise, usually set in to and decorating edges.

Apart from several others I have seen, the Wallace collection holds a fine Tulwar with turquoise "balls" to the pommel, grip, langet and knuckle bow. They also hold a Khanda with turquoise set in to the langet, nothing else comes to mind that is specifically India.

It is unfortunate that the George Watt catalogue does not show weapons with turquoise. Perhaps the exhibition did not have any.
Page 50 in his book, he specifically notes that the works mentioned are brass with recesses compacted with fragments of a false turquoise which are embedded in cement.

The works Watt's notes as "fragments" differs greatly from the turquoise seen in Indian weapons which appear to have been through the hands of a lapidary craftsman...but it leaves me wondering as I have never tested the turquoise in Indian weapons.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote