View Single Post
Old 15th February 2005, 08:02 PM   #14
Conogre

Thanks all, and no ofense meant about "rice choppers" Tom, an obviously bad choice of words! **grin**
The Mak actually look very interesting, similar to a Thai tool used for, I think, harvesting and clearing bananas, with theirs being socketed rather than tanged.
Barry, the blade isn't chisel type, something important that I didn't think to add, but rather uniformly slanting down both sides to a razor edge.
I must have taken another stupid pill as I found another PI piece that's similarly mounted, minus the bands, a fairly contemorary machete or brush knife from the N. Islands that also has the open hilt, dark wood and three large pins, as well as an even heavier Iif conventionally shaped) blade, this one with a leather sheath, so it probably IS Visayan in origin.
I just can't help wondering if some of these atypical pieces that I find so attractive aren't older weapon/tool styles that either are or have vanished with modernization, as well as feeling that we are the losers as they vanish into time without even leaving a footnote.
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote