View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2023, 07:50 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
This is an interesting topic and swords, and while I cant add much to these shown (I try to avoid comment on Fagan), the sword replica shown (not the suggested Fagan example) is interesting in its own merits as often these Victorian examples are remarkably well done.
The merit of making 'good' replicas constitutes the particularity to confuse them with genuine examples, hence increasing the facility with which the best intentioned collector, even institution, inadvertently buy 'cat for hare', aka 'pig in a poke'.

Quote:
... those, especially by Schmitt of Munich were so much so that many resided in museum such as the Higgins for many years thought to be original.
Indeed ... and i dare say that, prestigious museums like the Higgins, as you mention, even the Met, as some say, feel deeply defrauded when they are confronted with reality.

Quote:
... For purposes of arms history, these of course defeat the inherent purpose of study. However for those who have deep interest in style and form, more artistically oriented, they serve that purpose.
Yes, those who are aware they acquire replicas, as they fit into their field of interest, either for price reasons or and are contented with what they represent.

Needless to say that we humbly respect everyone's preferences, although in this forum we are commited to only discuss genuine antique weapons .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote