View Single Post
Old 4th June 2018, 03:15 PM   #6
F. de Luzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Thanks again for your comments F. de L. The depiction of Antonio Luna on these hilts is a tradition that seems to have been around since before WWII. Luna was an interesting man and there are a number of online sources detailiong his history. I agree that many of the depictions here are cruder than on older, better quality examples.
Hi Ian,

The Santa pommel (aka Kapitan or Antonio Luna) certainly resembles a Filipino revolutionary army officer wearing a peaked cap like General Antonio Luna in his portrait. Here's a link that provides info on the uniform of the Army of the First Philippine Republic: http://malacanang.gov.ph/76540-infog...pine-republic/. Also, attached is a photo of Antonio Luna wearing the cap and an example of an antique dagger from Santa, Ilocos Sur for the information of readers who may not be acquainted with what we are discussing.

The attention to detail in the older pommel is so much better compared to contemporary versions. I noticed that the stud on the forehead that you'll find in older versions is missing in the new ones. It's that stud that makes it unmistakably inspired by the officers of the 1st Republican Army. I've seen claims online that older versions like this are from the era of the First Republic (1898-1901). It makes sense because it was the only time such uniform was used. However, I've never encountered an actual dated example. I hope someone can shed more light on this.

[/QUOTE] I think the "individuality" of Filipino knives is common--no two being exactly alike unless machine made--and the need to find the right "fit" for a buyer is important. I have a friend in Negros who must have examined 50 different bolos of similar design before deciding on the right one for him to cut brush in his yard. Since he planned to do a lot of chopping with it over a long time he wanted one that would last and feel right. [/QUOTE]

This is very interesting. I did the same until I found the right one.

Kind regards,

Fernando
Attached Images

Last edited by F. de Luzon; 4th June 2018 at 03:57 PM.
F. de Luzon is offline   Reply With Quote