View Single Post
Old 15th August 2006, 07:40 PM   #8
mross

Scotland blade ban;

http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm?id=1180732006

UK blade ban;

http://www.jamesbrokenshire.com/inde...=133&Itemid=31

And a letter to a member of another sword list who's name I removed because I can't seem to post there anymore to ask permission to use it(No, I was not banned but our server has since changed id's so the list server cannot validate me.)

"
Thank you for your email and for contacting me about my proposed bill to outlaw the sale, resale, manufacture and importation of sharpened samurai swords. I recognise that this is a sensitive and complex issue and that many people possess samurai swords lawfully and without any harm to anyone. The original Japanese Katana is the sword most commonly referred to as a samurai sword and these traditional items forged with the highly specialized tamagahane steel are highly valuable and important cultural and historic items some of which, as you rightly point out, are considered as works of fine art. In drafting the bill, I can assure you that I have this at the forefront of my mind and the need to ensure that legitimate purchases for such purposes are addressed either by general exemption or through licence.

I am convinced that supply is an important factor as evidenced by the experiences of Devon & Cornwall Police when they intorduced a voluntary ban. I believe that it is necessary to assert a general ban whilst providing appropriate protections. I have not taken this step lightly, but I am persuaded that the public protection issue is sufficient to warrant such a measure. The problem is that these items, for whatever reason, have become the weapon of choice amongst criminal gangs and the consequences of these items getting into the hands of violent criminals can unfortunately be seen up and down the country.

As you may be aware, the Government have been considering instituting a ban on samurai swords themselves. The Violent Crime Reduction Bill does reserve an order making power to provide for a ban and to incorporate exemptions through secondary legislation. Hazel Blears MP, the then Police Minister, made this clear when the point was debated in committee earlier this year. However, my preference is to consider and debate the issue as a matter of primary legislation, as secondary legislation is only subject to very limited scrutiny and debate and no amendments can be made to the draft order once it is tabled. We will find out in October what approach the Home Office plans to take.

Thank you for contacting me about this important issue. I will certainly reflect further on the points which you have made. This is not a straight-forward matter, but I remain of the view that further protection through law is appropriate.

Yours sincerely,

James Brokenshire MP

==========================================

James Brokenshire MP

Member of Parliament for Hornchurch

Serving the communities of Hornchurch, Elm Park, Rainham and Wennington

House of Commons, Westminster, London SW1A 0AA

Tel: 020 7219 8400

email: brokenshirej@parliament.uk
"
mross is offline   Reply With Quote