Thread: YOUNGER Keris
View Single Post
Old 28th August 2008, 01:19 PM   #39
A. G. Maisey

There are two ways of looking at the question of who can be an empu.

Firstly we need to understand that an empu is not just a maker of keris. An empu is somebody who is an outstanding artist , or poet, or literary person, or armourer.

In Old Javanese this word was usually rendered as "mpu", and it was title of respect, not limited to only those types of persons I have just mentioned.It could be broadly understood as "The Honourable".

Such recognition was bestowed by a ruler, but it could also come from the common people:- thus, two ways in which to be recognised as an empu.

As to when a person can become an empu, well, that is dependent upon when he is recognised by either the common people, or by his lord, as worthy of the title.

I have already mentioned elsewhere that Empu Pauzan Pusposukadgo was reluctant to use this title, even though he may have been entitled to use it. This was because of his deep religious convictions, and his understanding that in terms of the keris, an empu was more than just somebody who was capable of making the physical entity that is a keris. In terms of the keris, an empu should also be able to embue the keris with a spiritual quality.

The word "empu" is often thrown around in a very careless manner, with little understanding of what this word actually means, when used to describe a keris-maker.

Consider this:- the two forms of Javanese culture where this title is bestowed in these latter days are in the realm of literature, and in the realm of keris production.The written word can contain magic in that it can cause visions and emotions to arise; it has the power to alter the state and perception of the reader or listener. For a man who makes keris to claim the right to use the title of empu, the keris that he makes must be more than just metal formed to a shape.The keris must exercise as great a magic in its own way, as does the written word.

As for corruption, and for titles received in exchange for the payment of money, well, I will not pursue that discussion in even the slightest degree.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote