View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2013, 01:39 PM   #11
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Two beautiful barungs no doubt, but yes, most definitely the ivory pommeled one for sure. I do have a bit of a layman's question. I can clearly see the ivory piece as a datu weapon. But i am not sure exactly why the other one is automatically designated as such. It is of course, lovely and i would welcome it in my collection in a heartbeat, but what makes it datu? The sheath is nicely carved (better than most) and has a jungayyan pommel. Were such pommels reserved solely for the datu class or could this simply be a barung owned by someone just a little further up the chain but not of the datu class?

David,

I think Battara's term "datu working" barong may be just perfect for the first one.

Spunjer and I have discussed this type of thing many times...essentially who got what in terms of quality and 'bling'. He has several old period pics and postcards of weapons sellers' stalls(maybe he can find them and post them here)...blades just hanging all over the place that are for sale to the locals(....if only we could go back in time...and assume a return with our heads and limbs attached!!). These pics indicate a variety of size, quality, and types of blades, from the most mundane to the blingiest ivory, etc. We have both sort of concluded it was just a matter of what you could afford, and that said, it's logical the datus could afford the higher quality pieces. As Battara mentioned, I am sure there were some social rules involved as well. I don't think it was too terribly different than modern society....status and wealth reflected in what was bought and worn. We most also factor in such things as gifts and representation pieces from datu to datu that would have been meant to impress.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote