View Single Post
Old 8th July 2021, 04:58 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
It is true that most (or all) examples of this type seen out there, as well mentioned by David, show a consistent construction that has nothing to do with the weird setup posted by Jim.
It is the serious blade that is preventing the transfer of this thread to the Miscelannia section... at least for now ...
As noted, David's most helpful entry set better context for this 'weird' fabrication, and I cannot help but wonder what prompted such a creation. I wish I had the sword so that the proper examination and better photos would provide the field to do identify the 'serious' blade.

My point in showing this was to illustrate how 'serious' swords often ended up in fraternal, particularly Masonic settings, and to try to estimate in what manner or circumstances they were associated.

As I noted, I have found numerous such cases over the years, in the relatively obscure lodges in small towns, where 'serious' swords such as various cavalry sabers, often 'combat' venerated, were held in high esteem as the sword of the Tyler.

On the other hand, there were numerous sword forms that were produced specifically for wear as regalia, much as the sword Fernando recently offered on the swap which was a most interesting example. These are intriguing as identifying them can be difficult with the associations sometimes highly nuanced rather than clear. These indeed were 'secret' societies.

I am more than satisfied with the results from this sword being posted here, and thank the staff for the forbearance. As not much more can probably be determined from the blade, please feel free to move to the miscellaneous where its category is probably better suited.

Thank you Norman for the link!!! Good suggestion
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote