View Single Post
Old 24th January 2012, 10:19 AM   #26
sirupate

Quote:
My (Spiral) quote from. Leutenant-Colonel H.J. Huxfords "The men had to pay for there own kukris,though the leather frogs were an ordanance supply." is tottaly accurate. the comment in quotes seemed relevant as that is part of thier history. I could have just as easily mentioned thier gallentry in ww2 or any other period.
The quote is accurate Jonathan, but not in the way it was linked to WW1; the original quote by you clearly associates that statement with WW1;
Quote:
THE MYTH OF GURKHA RIFLEMAN CARRYING PRIVATE Spiral; 21st June 2010, 02:28 PM post 30 But just to add to Simons confusion. I always liked this bit published in 1952 in Leutenant-Colonel H.J. Huxfords Official history of the originaly Assam based 8th Gurkha Rifles. {I Think one battalion went to NWF about 1914 the other to France.} "The men had to pay for there own kukris,though the leather frogs were an ordanance supply."
This I believe was very misleading.
Quote:
Spiral;Such as the Document you quote to Ochterlony HQ, which deals with the Nusseree & Sirmoor battalions, neither of whom where regarded as Assam based Regiments, That Leutenant-Colonel H.J. Huxfords documentation was about!
Absolutely correct Jonathan, however you failed to supply the fact that it only applied until 1881, and in 1880 they were not Gurkha at that point, they were mainly Sikh, Hindustani, Assamese etc, hardly Gurkha! so the quote has no meaning in the context to the argument about Gurkhas.
Indeed right before the contents section of the book, it tells you they were not considered Goorkha until 1886, by the titles of the regiments supplied, so why use a quote that had in effect no relevance to Gurkhas?
Also it was not until 1893 that the Bengal Army by standing order had to become class structured regiments.

Quote:
Spiral; we then come to your latest misleading & false critiscim of myself. Originally Posted by sirupate Spiral 9th January 2012, 11:46 AM post 12 Generaly I ignore Simon Hengle of Tora Replica kukri supplies, as life is to short to waste on such things ,but a request for documentry evidence I do view as legitamate on this occasion. A legitamate request... quite a reliable source realy. The Official Regimental history of the 8th Gurkha Rifles. By Leutenant-Colonel H.J. Huxford. Published in 1952 , Hengle has then very carefully edited my full quote to make my statement appear missleading! As if I only Mentiond Huxford as the source not himself.
Jonathan this is my original quote, you used me as a secondary source only;
Quote:
Spiral 'military' KUKRI for comment;
Spiral; 7th January 2012, 01:06 AM post 6
Despite Simons statement ,Some battalions still made or bought thier own kukri during ww2 due to supply difficulities during ww2 with the main pattern kukri.This is well documented.
Sirupate; 7th January 2012, 12:39 PM post 9
Proof of documentation please Jonathan. Spiral 9th January 2012, 11:46 AM post 12
Generaly I ignore Simon Hengle of Tora Replica kukri supplies, as life is to short to waste on such things ,but a request for documentry evidence I do view as legitamate on this occasion. A legitamate request... quite a reliable source realy. The Official Regimental history of the 8th Gurkha Rifles. By Leutenant-Colonel H.J. Huxford. Published in 1952 ,
This quote of yours is a complete misquote of Huxford;
Quote:
Despite Simons statement ,Some battalions still made or bought thier own kukri during ww2 due to supply difficulities during ww2 with the main pattern kukri.This is well documented
Huxford actually says that the Regimental Centre took over production of kukri, not the battalion, nor did he say that the battalion purchase kukri, THE REGIMENTAL CENTRE AT QUETTA MANUFACTURED THEIR KUKRI!!

Quote:
Spiral; I would like to state to all, My statements & quotes were fully correct & not misleading. This can all be veryfied on the original threads, if anyone moderators or forumites is bothered enough to.
The above quotations and corrections by me, clearly show that to be wholly incorrect Jonathan.

You also took no notice of this quote Jonathan, which would have applied to all units considered or with the title Goorkha/Gurkha from this point on;
GENERAL ORDERS BY THE HONOURABLE THE GOVERNOR IN COUNCIL Fort William, 2nd May 1823.
these corps (The Nasiri & Sirmoor) are clothed, armed, equipt and supplied with Ammunition at the expense of the State....etc.

Now I respectfully request that you answer why you used these;
1. quote from Huxford; "The men had to pay for there own kukris,though the leather frogs were an ordanance supply." in a quote about WW1, when it only applied to non Gurkha/Goorkha regiments pre 1881?

2. supposed and incorrect quote from Huxford; "Some battalions still made or bought thier own kukri during ww2 due to supply difficulities during ww2 with the main pattern kukri.This is well documented"

A straight forward reply would be much appreciated, cheers Simon