View Single Post
Old 13th January 2019, 07:36 PM   #7
rickystl

Hi Fernando

What an interesting, and curious roman style lock. And LARGE !! LOL
Funny, but my first thought viewing the outer "shape" of the lock plate was that it reminded me of of the early Mid-16th Century English doglocks. Just the shape of the lock plate only.
The length and thickness of the lock plate and the rustic assembly of it's sear parts are similar to the quality you see on Moroccan snaphaunce locks. The frizzen design with it's unusual insert is a mystery. Never seen one like it. But there is a curve to the insert, so it was made to be struck by a flint. But the insert is somewhat narrow in relation to the width of the frizzen face. Makes me wonder if the inset was added latter for use with a flint pawl (chunk of flint) versus a typical knapped, flat flint ? Of course I'm just speculating here. But viewing it's overall construction, it would not surprise me if this lock at some point was mounted to a Moroccan or Algeria long gun. But personally, I've never seen a roman style lock mounted to an oriental gun. But most of the locally made Moroccan and Algerian locks tend to be of large size like this one. Probably for the ease of construction as well as making spare parts.

Rick

p.s. If you ever decide it needs a new home, keep me in mind. LOL
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote