View Single Post
Old 7th December 2018, 07:42 PM   #11
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafngard
Well, if no one has seen one like this, let me ask these questions.
Does the inlay work seem Filipino, from a style perspective?
If so, from where in the Philippines? While it matches the profile rather closely of an antique moro kris (even being shorter in length than a lot of modern training equipment) but the inlay doesn't seem very Moro to my (largely untrained) eyes.

Am I right in thinking that the mother of pearl indicates WWII or later?

Thanks,
Leif
Hi again Leif,

Thanks for taking my assertion constructively. Moving forward, the inlay work is reminiscent of ukkil from Sulu. While the ukkil I usually encounter on modern BangsaMoro weapons - especially those made by the Tausug- have waves as primary motif, there would be vines from time to time, or creeping plants with flowers (such as the one depicted on your wooden kris). The first thing I usually look at is symmetry- if it's symmetrical, then there's a stronger probability that it was made by BangsaMoro hands (although can't really be 100% sure; there are weapon reproduction outfits that counterfeit well). There are usually two types of symmetry: AB - BA, the most common (mirror), and AB - AB (same theme, but not mirrored; repeated) and I can see both types occurring on your wooden kris.

Regarding age, it's difficult to ascertain, as modern-day pieces still use MOP.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote