View Single Post
Old 4th February 2017, 07:11 PM   #28
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
Rick,

Will indeed keep you posted with progress and photos !

Thank you for your thoughts on the stock and such. It was my first thought to glue the joint, as the stock can move a bit at that point.
Some have solid bands and some twine/wire or leather ties.
This one only had a solid band at muzzle, and some old copper wire over the splice, but it wasn't original.
The stock looks Bad right now!, as when I took the screws out, one little bird and one flower fell out and need putting back.
The 'elephant ' on the underside of the buttstock has only his trunk remaining!, as someone put a large wood -screw where he used to be!
Will plug that old wound (screw split the stock worse than before it was applied) and put a new 'elephant' on the trunk. :-)
Needs a buttplate as half was putty.. Fortunately I have some black water-buffalo horn so that will suffice.

More as and when.
Thanks for comments on Omani thread. will reply soon. :-)

Richard.
Hi Richard.

BARREL BANDS: Yes, as you mentioned, I've seen everything used. Brass, iron, rattan, leather, wire, everything. LOL.
BUTT PLATE: Yes, that black water buffalo should work fine.
By the way, if you need any bone to make new inlays, I have some pre-aged , yellowed camel bone from a period Algerain long gun if it helps.

So sorry to hear about the stock. It's frustraiting when you get something someone else tried to crudely repair and didn't know what they were doing.

BUT !! The barrel being cylinder bore is great news !!!!

Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote