Thread: Kubur Questions
View Single Post
Old 15th June 2015, 01:07 AM   #17
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Marvelous, and I thank you Kubur .
Since the only other arm that came down to us from him was a 'Wedding Nimcha' ; I would think that this places it as being acquired in Algeria or Morocco .
Now I'll have to get the courage to remove the lock and look for marks .
Hi Rick.
What a beautiful - and interesting pistol. At first glance, the overall proportions of the gun look just like a typical Ottoman/Balkan made kubur pistol. The lock style, butt cap, trigger guard, etc. But Kubur, above, is probably correct. The last time I saw the facial impression on the breech of a barrel was on a Greek/Rasak long gun. The Greeks were also fond of making their triggers in the form of humans. Most of the relief chiseling on the barrels that I've seen were on Ottomah/Balkan guns, but done in a more generic matter such as the barrel on the Ottoman Knee Pistol below.
If you have a chance, would you run a piece of wire or something down the ramrod channel and see if the hole goes all the way back towards the breech? Or does the wire travel only a couple inches past the lowere ramrod thimble? It would be interesting to know since it looks like it was made for a full length ramrod vs a false ramrod. Thanks.
Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote