View Single Post
Old 1st April 2021, 12:04 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Jean, I have this book on order, so I cannot really comment on anything yet. I rarely buy newly published books relating to the keris, and when I do buy, it is usually because I either know the writer, or I respect the opinions of other people who have commented on the book.

Bruce Carpenter wrote the text for this book. I do not know Bruce Carpenter, and I am doing my best to fill in some background on him, however, I do already have one opinion, and that is that he is "solid" and that he is "---pretty thorough in his research and his work ---". This opinion came from one of the most highly regarded personages involved in Balinese culture today.

Albert's opinion I have taken at full value.

Accordingly, I am already a little bit prejudiced towards a positive opinion of this book, even though I have not yet seen it.

I do hope I am not going to be disappointed.

I think E.A.N. van Veenendaal was the author of "Pamor Atlas"?

Is this correct?

Do we know upon what authority or personal research he based the naming of the Ganesha-like hilt you mention, as "Sri Gajah Waktra"?

I only know Raja Sri Gajah Waktra as an early Balinese ruler. I cannot recall ever having seen this historic figure portrayed in a Ganesha-like form.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote