Thread: Naga Daggers
View Single Post
Old 6th August 2014, 04:36 PM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsAntiqueWeapons
An interesting example with interesting similarities Ian.

The Bolo shape and non flared pommel have me thinking of other influence though....so little known, so few seen...

Thanks
Yes, I agree Gavin. The chisel-edged fat belly is certainly reminiscent of Visayan tenegre, for example, and the hilt does not look quite right (I got this off eBay where it was listed as a Philippine bolo). However, the scabbard is certainly distinctive, especially the bands of copper wire and the attached leather strap, and judging from the marks on this old blade it has been in that sheath for some time.

Another two examples I have seen that were provenanced from Nagaland did show the more characteristic hilt, an iron ferrule, and slimmer blades. The sheath on both had the raised edge on the backside of the blade and one was bound in copper wire while the other was bound with rattan strips. Overall length was probably about 12-15 inches, although I did not have the chance to handle them and my notes indicate only an approximate length. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of these other two.

As you say, just not a lot of data to go by with these knives.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote