View Single Post
Old 7th July 2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Default SOLD

SOLD with thanks.

Both gorgeous Seville Navaja are now also sold, I will remove the ebay listing shortly.

Regards

Gav

www.swordsantiqueweapons.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
Well, I can show you examples and still not be a glentleman ;0)
H. Russell Robinson shows it or mentions it in Oriental Armour.
The catalog of the Stibbert Collection inFlorence has a pic. Any museum
that has a complete Ottoman armor like this on display will show it. But mostly its common sense-- the back of the neck wouldn't need that cutout
in fact it would be a negative. Unless you have a chin at the back of your head or a couble-jointed neck, I guess.
Too true Ward. As for the further reference, other than noting Robinson, can you offer readers anything further on Krug armour plates by adding any thing of specifics of styles. I might add too, Robinson does not in fact show a rear plate, but chapter 3 is very comprehensive on the subject of Turkish armour.

Thanks too for the other museum reference to add to those I have mentioned above, are you able to show an image from it for those who do not have the catalogue as I know it is not as readily available as Stone or Robinson, these type of displays and catalogues are most important in the context of arms and armour.

I am interested to hear further about the cut out in the Krugs top plate and it's use as a cut out for a chin or double jointed neck though?
If you refer to plate VIII on Robinson's Oriental Armour, figure A, the position of this cut out in relation to the chest has no relevence to then chin or a double jointed neck. Even with the head at full tilt forward it would not touch the armour.
What I would suggest, for it's reason of being, would be if the armour was grabbed from the rear and pulled back it would offer some tolerence and confort for the individual wearing it rather than cutting into the throat with a straight cut piece of steel.

I would be very interested to hear more of your reasoning behind the opinions you sited.

Gav

www.swordsantiqueweapons.com

Last edited by freebooter; 7th July 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote