View Single Post
Old 18th October 2008, 02:25 AM   #12
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
This really is an exciting topic, and for me truly a trip down memory lane! (this is what happens when ya get old! Quite a few years ago, I was completely enthralled with studying the lancers, spurred mostly by the Errol Flynn movie 'Charge of the Light Brigade", and "Lives of a Bengal Lancer" (1935). My sword collecting had already taken hold, but these lancers had inspired me further in wanting to learn more on these weapons.

I recall when I finally got my hands on my first lances, an old British pair from c.1860's. These things were over 8 feet long, and living in southern California, they had arrived via air freight from London in Los Angeles. In my excitement I 'charged' off to customs at the airport in LAX, completely forgetting I was driving a corvette! Uh, slight problem in transporting! I took off the T-tops and literally charged down the 405 freeway with lances bristling out of the car! I had several visits from the highway patrol in my journey, mostly of pure curiosity, as were the officials in customs.

In later years I got several more, which were WWI from varying Indian cavalry regiments, and the obsession grew. I was completely caught up in studying the colorful Indian native cavalry regiments, especially of course the Bengal Lancers. I found a book titled "So They Rode and Fought" by Major General S. Shahid Hamid, 1984, who was now in the Pakistani Army, and completely about these regiments. I wrote to him and he kindly responded with wonderful information as well as his book.

In about 1990, I read about a book written in 1988 titled "Last of the Bengal Lancers" by Brigadier (ret.) Francis HB Ingall. When I found he lived near San Francisco I was ecstatic! I reached him and he invited me to his home, and again....I was charging!! this time travel expenses!!

Brigadier Ingall was noted as "the last British officer on the Indian sucontinent to lead a charge into battle astride his horse with his sword drawn". Brig. Ingall had been commissioned to the 6th Duke of Connaughts Own Lancers, but in our talks the day we met, told me he had actually been attached to the 13th Bengal Lancers (formerly known as 'Watsons Horse').
The battle mentioned was in 1931, and he led his lancers in the charge on horseback at the Battle of Karawal near the Khyber Pass against the firece Afridi tribesmen on the Northwest Frontier.

As he passionately talked about this battle, I was allowed to handle the huge M1912 officers sword with beautiful bowl type guard he had carried in the charge, and he looked over lovingly at the portrait he had hanging in a place of honor over his fireplace of his faithful charger 'Eagerheart'. He was thrilled that I was so taken by the history of the lancers, and I will honestly never forget the brief, but monumental talk I had with this sturdy British officer.

I still have his book which he inscribed to me and proud to have him note my endeavors on Bengal Lancer history in it. The 'Brigadier' as he was called, passed away in August 1992, less than two years later, the end of an epoch.

It seems the lance did remain in use for some time in some of the British native cavalry regiments, though by about 1938, most regular army line units were amalgamated, and became armoured mechanized units. In the U.S. the army mechanized its cavalry units in 1934, and it was said that the old horse soldier, Gen.George Patton, had tears in his eyes as his troopers stacked thier 'Patton sabres' for the last time. I am uncertain exactly how long the native lancer units actually used the lance, but likely after the 1930's most use was parade or ceremonial, much as units of the Polish uhlan (lancer) regiments in 1939 references.

The last officially recognized mounted charge of British cavalry was actually near an airfield at Toungoo, Burma on 21 March 1942. Captain Arthur Sandeman led Sikh sowars of the Burma Frontier Force against Japanese infantry, in a dashing yet disastrous mounted charge in which most of them perished.
A brilliant account of this action is found in "Charge to Glory" (James D. Lunt, 1960).

There remains in New Delhi each year a parade which includes the last mounted cavalry regiment, the 61st cavalry which includes the Prseidents Bodyguard, and some of the units still have lancers.

Perhaps these ramblings are a bit drawn out but I hope those as interested in the history of these gallant cavalrymen as I am , might enjoy these notes.

All best regards,
Jim
Brilliant Jim!
I knew that we had Lancers after WW1, especially the Indian ones of course, but I had no idea that we'd actually used any 'in battle' (or for anything more than crowd control) after WW1.
Do you think Brigadier Ingall's charge in 31 was actually with lances? Or sabres and firearms?
I have an abiding love and deep admiration for India and its virtually unconditional support of Britain. Apparently in WW1, about a third of the 'British' troops fighting were from India. Many had never seen snow before. :-(

P.S. Corvette?
You lucky bugger! ;-)
I currently drive a 91 micra with 145,000 miles on the clock! LOL
Its due for an MOT in 3 weeks so that'll be time for the big sleep!
You must have a pic of the vet to post?
targa tops as well!
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote