View Single Post
Old 8th June 2018, 07:06 AM   #3
NavdeepBal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Saif is an Arabic word, meaning a generic sword. So, if the original owner was an Arab, that’s how he would call it.
Firangi is a word meaning “ foreigner, European” ( Franks). Originally it was used in South India, mainly for Portugese blades ( the first Europeans arriving in India and carrying their straight rapiers).
As it spread further, it entered Marathi and Mughal domains. For them, these long ( up to 4 feet) straight swords with local handles were a mark of authority. The blades ( imported or local) were mounted on local handles. Marathas called them Dhup, and Mughals Asa Shamshir ( asa in Arabic is staff).

So, depending on the locality, time of manufacture and the ethnicity of owner one can choose any name.

Of course, yours might have been remounted several times ( I suspect it is the case) and the blade might have been shortened and/or polished repeatedly up to the loss of any markings, so any or all of the above hints might have disappeared. Such is the nature of age and ageing....

Generically, it would be safe to call it Firangi to cover all bases.
Yes, I know, it is a name game, but names tell us a lot about history and are often useful.
Thank you. But the blade interests me too. It looks odd for the time period. It loks more lik a longsword blade than a typical european blade of the 18th century.
NavdeepBal is offline   Reply With Quote