View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2020, 06:19 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Unique Kampillan

I bought this kampillan in an auction late last year. It was photographed with the blade's edge up so it had the look of a more typical kampillan profile. However, studying the pics carefully showed the edge was turned up which made this a very unusual kampillan when the edge would be turned downward as is more typical.

I assumed it was a cut-down kampillan blade, perhaps cut-down at the spine's spike. I am still not 100% sure it is not a cut-down blade, but having seen it up close there is less reason to think that.

The blade has an inserted edge, quite unusual for Moro weapons, and the edge can be seen just barely turning upwards toward the tip. I am not sure I have seen inserted edges on any other Moro blades, though I am rather sure they exist. I wondered if the blade was forged somewhere else, perhaps with more expertise in this style of forging.

It makes for more of a 'saber-like' blade. It is perfectly balanced and razor-sharp. You can see how fragile the inserted edge is where it is damaged because it doesn't have bent knicks, but slight, broken ones.

The sword feels quite good in hand, and the hilt is quite nice as well. The hair is restored. The coins are dated 1908 and 1914.

Comments welcomed.

Dimensions:
Overall length: 35in.
Blade length: 24in.
Blade's widest point: 1.75in.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote