View Single Post
Old 13th June 2018, 03:56 AM   #20
Spunjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. de Luzon
Hello Spunjer,

Thank you for your insights. The whitish metal on the hilt of the dagger in post #6 seems to be of the same material as that in post #8. I haven't seen the dagger (#6) in person because it is still en route to Manila. But based on the photograph, the whitish lines and dots do look like aluminum. The similarities in the hilt and scabbard suggest that these daggers were made by the same craftsman, as said by Ian.

I am certain that the dagger with the soldier's head pommel was manufactured in Santa, Ilocos Sur. If these were made by the same craftsman, then the other one is from the same place. The question is whether or not these daggers are from the era of the Philippine Revolution/Philippine American War (1896-1902). Some would assume that it can't because of the presence of aluminum.

I've seen here and elsewhere the view that Philippine weapons (krisses, bolos, etc) with aluminum fittings are of post World War II manufacture because aluminum was salvaged from downed fighter planes. I do not agree with this broad generalization.

Aluminum (aluminio) was imported to the Philippines since the late nineteenth century. Later, the American Governor General would even set duties on aluminum. Here's a page from the Executive Orders and Proclamations of the Governor General in 1905 setting the duties on aluminum kitchen utensils, etc. See #71 .. aluminio.... (https://quod.lib.umich.edu/p/philame...ge;q1=aluminio).

Therefore, while some weapons were fitted with aluminum after the war, there were others that may have already had them even before. All I am saying is that these daggers cannot be assumed to be post war just because of the presence of aluminum.

Anyway, I'm just sharing my thoughts and I would appreciate any added insights.

Kind regards,

Fernando
good point on aluminum, Fernando! i'm not sure about the knife on post #6; i can only vouch on the knife that's shown on post #8: this particular piece was a part of mine collection a few years ago. few things told me it was a later piece: the leather scabbard seems pretty crisp. the older pieces i have that were from the 1st revolutionary era that came with leather scabbards seem to have shrunk a bit. IMHO unless it was taken care of after all these years, these scabbards tend to shrink big time. another tell tale sign is the handle if it's made out of carabao horn. the horn tend to turn into this hazy, amber type. i'm attaching some examples.
hope that helps.

on the sidenote: when i went to Baler about 4 years ago, i went to the palengke and seen some knives with a similar soldier's head and flower bud handles.
also, one of the stories i've heard on what those soldier's head is suppose to represent is a facsimile of General Douglas MacArthur.
Attached Images

Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote