View Single Post
Old 5th June 2021, 04:02 PM   #10
Marbel

Hello David,

Indeed ‘posed’ is a more appropriate term and I have edited my original post.

For the Tboli man, carrying a weapon of some sort would certainly have been a regular occurrence. That being said, Elizalde was absolutely considered a dignitary or even more by the Tboli and would have drawn relatively large crowds including men who would arrive proudly adorned. In 1970, the Tboli people were still relatively unknown to most of the world including most of the Philippines. When Elizalde began pouring money, resources and pride into the Tboli lands and peoples, he became extremely important to their world. No one matched his status and so having a visit from Elizalde and his group would absolutely always be an auspicious occasion for the Tboli.

As you noted, his was a complex story and not all of his goals and deeds were altruistic.

Regarding the Tasaday people, who still live in the very remote mountains between Lake Sebu and the sea, theirs is also a complex story. No matter how inaccurately reported or manipulated, they are people and not a hoax. When discussing the Tasaday, I always encourage people to read a book titled “Invented Eden” by Robin Hemley (be sure to get the second printing). I feel that upon carefully reading this book you will truly understand the Tasaday story and be touched as well.

I would note lastly, for those truly interested in the Tboli people, most of Elizalde’s work with the Tboli was done in the area of what is now known as Tboli town or Kematu (where he constructed a large ‘village’ and where most of the photos in the Mydans series were taken). The somewhat more familiar Lake Sebu area is quite a bit further into the mountains. In 1970, in terms of outside influences the Lake Sebu area was dominated by Sta. Cruz Mission which established the first schools, medical facilities and other key infrastructure projects in the area. The mission was also aided by a number of Peace Corps volunteers from the US. It should be stated that these people played an extremely key role in preserving and promoting the material culture of the Tboli, including weaving, bead, embroidery and basket work and even brasscasting.
Marbel is offline   Reply With Quote