View Single Post
Old 9th November 2011, 02:50 PM   #13
Pusaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
I think that the alloy described by Pusaka could be gongso, I saw some very nice pendoks made from this materials but don't own any in my collection. I have some old "singing" bowls and confirm that they did not tarnish at all since 20 years, I can send some pictures if you are interested.
Best regards
Jean
Jean I think you hit the nail on the head, I did a google image search for gongso Pendok and have included the an image below. This pendok looks exactly like mine, as you can see it also has not tarnished.

What I also found very interesting is that when I did the search I found many images of gamelan instruments which suggests that musical instruments are also made of this alloy. It would be very interesting now to know what gongso is made from and if it is similar to the metal Tibetan singing bowls are made from.

http://cherykeris.blogspot.com/

EDIT:

Further searching has revealed something quite interesting, gongso metal literally means gamelan metal suggesting that it is indeed the same alloy from which some gamelan instruments are made.
Attached Images

Last edited by Pusaka; 9th November 2011 at 03:50 PM.
Pusaka is offline   Reply With Quote