View Single Post
Old 19th January 2009, 09:53 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

A very handsome example Fernando! and though I dont know much on polearms, I wanted to add some thoughts after reviewing some notes on these. The terminology on polearms is interesting, and perhaps it would be interesting to discover more on these terms. Apparantly the 'partisan' is also more familiarly known as a 'spontoon'. " always think the 'oon' suffix is curious, as in the swords we have studied such as 'walloon' , the 'spadroon' come to mind.

It seems most polearms were intended for combat against horsed enemy, and there were many variations in the shapes and features of the heads on these, with distinct purposes associated with axe blades, spear points, hooks, winged type protrusions and so on.

The earlier forms of partisan, I understand had axe type heads on either side of the blade, which evolved into two side blade protrusions. On these, as on some other polearm heads, these were hilt-like in function defensively.

In this example, as you have noted, these side blades have become rather vestigial, and the weapon, as was the case with partisans in general by the 17th century, had become more ceremonial. I believe, if not mistaken, that the spontoon (partisan) became a sort of rank insignia that was often carried by sergeants or similar equivilants in rank and file.

Interesting to have provenance with this example, and perhaps looking into the military history there, more information might be present.

I know these turned up in Spanish colonial sphere, and I think were even used as noted during the American Revolutionary War. Need to check more in Neumann's reference! Looking forward to more comments.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote