View Single Post
Old 11th January 2015, 04:45 AM   #6
Josh Combs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanisE
Hallo!
I'm a new member. I do metal detecting and my best find is viking sword bronze parts, what I want to do with them - make a full sword copy for myself and sell the original parts. The blade will be ready in few days, I decided not to forge it but grind, material is 65G ( 65Г ). As I consulted this would match, photos next week. What do you say, how can I make a copy of bronze parts, can I use brass?
Great find! Did you look around very hard for the upper guard? You have the Pommel and the lower guard(cross guard) but missing the upper guard. It would be smaller and resembling in design the canoe like cross guard.

Also consider just finding a sculptor that can work in wax and have them reproduced that way. They wouldn't be exact copies so to speak but since there is a missing piece and you may have to have it replicated one way or another anyway...it might be a solution that suits you. If all the parts are just done in wax you could just have them cast right away and wouldn't need to make molds at all. Those pieces wouldn't be hard to sculpturally reproduce and it would save on mold making. Also, you wouldn't be risking any damage to the well preserved artifacts.

I'd stick with Bronze personally since they were originally and also because I like the look...but since it is a sword just for you I'd suggest whatever makes you happy and that's all that matters.
Josh Combs is offline   Reply With Quote