View Single Post
Old 10th June 2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Dom,
I just wanted to thank you for this brilliant bit of detective work, and the great graphics work and detail you have added in presenting this. While not necessarily in my fields of study as far as the items, I am intrigued by the way you have incorporated the realm of art to the identification of weapons, something long established but not commonly practiced by antique arms enthusiasts. If there were a book focused on any field of study of arms and armour with this kind of detail with this kind of presentation, it would in my opinion, be #1 for reference. Well done!!!!

The late A.V.B.Norman well illustrated this practice by using classical art and portraiture to establish period provenance on many European hilt forms, and truly set the pace for the identification of these forms. It is well known that using the fabulous 'miniatures' in art of Persia and India, these have often been instrumental in establishing benchmarks in the appearance of certain weapons.

Art is a most valuable resource for study in all manner of identification of antiquities, allowing for caution in some cases with items which are known to have been props and studies used for artistic effect, such as evidenced in many classical Biblical works such as done by Rembrandt.

While few can readily afford the expensive works themselves, which in our case often serve as references rather than collectibles, it seems that there are copies or prints reasonably priced and available.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote